Saltwater rinses are a common and inexpensive home remedy that can do wonders for your oral hygiene and dental health. From relieving inflammation to soothing a sore throat, rinsing the mouth with salt water can provide a variety of benefits, like:
- Promoting faster healing for mouth injuries.
- Reducing the discomfort caused by losing or pulling a tooth.
- Easing the discomfort of a scratchy throat.
Dental professionals agree with this homeopathic parenting tip: regular saltwater rinses are helpful in many ways.
5 Impressive Benefits of Rinsing with Salt Water
Rinsing or gargling with warm salt water isn’t just a home remedy for kids. Adults can partake in this ritual to help with:
- Combating inflammation and reducing pain from injury. Due to its inflammatory properties, saltwater rinses can help ease common mouth and throat pain caused by injury to the gums, tooth loss or the unfortunate throat pain many allergy sufferers regularly face.
- Saving money on oral treatments. Salt water costs little to no money to create. Over-the-counter medications that relieve oral pain can be expensive and may not be easily accessible for everyone. If you already have salt in the cabinet, you’re ready to go.
- Keeping bad bacteria at bay. Oral health is dependent on the balance between good and bad bacteria in the mouth. When left unchecked, bad bacteria can grow rapidly and cause bacterial sores in the mouth, tooth decay and other illnesses. Rinsing with salt water helps maintain a healthy balance of bacteria in the mouth and throat.
- Preventing gingivitis, or inflammation of the gums. Flossing twice a day is recommended because food particles get stuck between teeth during meals and can lead to oral ailments like gingivitis. The healthy bacteria in salt water help promote the breakdown of leftover food particles to help prevent buildup.
- Warding off bad breath. Those who struggle with halitosis, or bad breath, know that it can be difficult to find the perfect mouthwash due to allergies or a sensitivity to alcohol-based rinses. Saltwater rinses are a fantastic alternative to traditional mouthwashes for these individuals.
Schedule a Dental Visit to Stay Ahead of Oral Health Problems
Routine dental care is an important part of keeping your health in check. At Stetson Hills Dental, our team of dentists cares about your oral health.
We’re here to help with all of your dental needs and to answer your questions. Contact our office today to schedule an appointment with a dental professional.